View Single Post

Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

First one disclaimer. That would be a .44 magnum mountain gun.
Yes, a 29 will shoot a special. Lets go deeper. Except for the mountain gun or possibly some 5 shot snub nose cannon that I dont know much about, you will find a 29 version with the heavy straight barrel and longer clyinder to feel a lot bulkier and heavier than the spec sheet states.
First, do you really need a mag? You can load the special up close to the low end loads of a mag. 1,200 fps with a 240 gr?
The differance is in the guns made for the special. They (Meaning the model 24 and colt saa) are more portable and a sweetheart to handle. I own a 29-2 in 5". Also have owned them in 4" and 8 3/8s. I own 7 .44 specials. A ruger flat top besides these smiths and colts pictured. I started out many years ago with haveing a ruger 357 BH converted to 44 special when the first ones did it. I am experianced with the different feel between guns. Carrying a 29 feels like carrying a softball bat in comparison to a hardball bat. To me it`s beyond just saying well, a 29 will do everything a special will and more. Do you want to wrestle with a sweetheart or a heavyweight?
Here are my .44 specials.

Last edited by feralmerril; 11-26-2011 at 01:33 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: