View Single Post

Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 AM

Liked 29,596 Times in 14,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNY View Post
Contrary to the last post, both my study of the subject and my own experience is that deep seating bullets does indeed raise pressure. While that pressure rise [due to the lessened case volume] might not be crucial in a light load, in a heavier load it could cause difficulty, especially in the 45-70, for which many rifles are weak compared to modern actions. Murphy's Law has a way of intruding itself.

I would ask that poster to reconsider, amend his post or supply substantiation regarding the 45-70 and Hornady brass. If I am mistaken, I will stand corrected.

Regards,

Dyson

No reconsideration necessary, as I am absolutely correct and you are absolutely incorrect. You have obviously not done any research on the topic, and in fact there is a lot of it. Your "Experience" means nothing unless you have a pressure barrel. This is the situation: If the bullet is seated more deeply, it has more of a free run to build up velocity before it hits the start of the rifling. Therefore, the peak chamber pressure is actually lowered,not increased. Don't just take my word on it, this is substantiated by actual chamber pressure measurement, and there are many places to look it up, including some reloading manuals.