View Single Post

Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 AM

Liked 877 Times in 170 Posts

I got the hots for a 1955 (.45 ACP) target in mid-1960's so contacted my usual dealer in Quantico who advised that they really were not available. Undeterred, I contacted S&W to inquire status. I was advised that while they were not in production, they were still being catalogued and that if I could be patient I should go ahead and order one.
The 1955 target was a matte-finish gun but I wanted a bright finish. The contact at S & W said I should just order it the way I wanted it.
So I placed the order with the dealer in Quantico who was quite suprised that I had called S&W and at the response I was given.
Many, many months later I recieved a call from the dealer, astonished that the gun had arrived, and did I still want it after all the time had passed. She indicated they had not seen a 1955 target for a long time and that there were many local buyers who would be happy to take it.
The dealer indicated that the 1955 was still not in production and that mine was probably assembled in the repair shop because I had requested the bright blue finish insead of the production matte finish.

I received the gun in October, 1967. I would add that the serial number starts with the letter "S". Special? Special Production? What do you think?

Here it is:

]

Last edited by RubEric; 12-03-2011 at 02:32 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: