View Single Post

Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Liked 403 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhacker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbryson View Post
Hello,

From "The Arms Chest" (classifieds) section of the December 1945 issue of "American Rifleman":

".44 Special loads, exhaustive tabulation of 650 tested handloads
for .44 Special, "Handgun Cartridge #1", limited, numbered edition,
$1.00 postpaid. 44 Associates, Auburn, Mass."

"American Rifleman" articles of interest to .44 Special fans:

August, 1944 "The S&W Triple-Lock and the .44 Special Cartridge", by Gordon C. Boser

February, 1949 "'Magnumizing' the .44", by George W. Rice

February, 1953 ".44 Dynamite", by John W. Zlatich

May, 1953 "Expanding Bullets for the .44", by John W. Zlatich

October, 1953 ".44 Special vs. .357 Magnum", by John W. Zlatich

In Zlatich's first article, he shows several loads in the 1,200 - 1,500 fps range, and talks about muzzle velocities up to 1,600 fps.

The "American Rifleman" articles are much easier to locate than the 44 Associates document. I believe that NRA members can obtain photocopies of old articles through Member Services.
Years ago at an estate auction I bought boxes of American Rifleman magazines from the 40's, 50's & 60's.

I'll pull them out of storage to see how many of these articles I have.

I'll scan them to a PDF document to share them with my .44 Special brethren... will let everyone know when I have something to send out.
It would appear that I'm a couple of years too late to be able to download these articles from the posted links. Does anyone here have copies of any of these articles they would be willing to email to me, particularly Gordon C. Boser's article on the Triple Lock and the .44 Special?

Thanks
Jim