View Single Post

Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
one other thing i have been thinking about is retention in iwb holsters. i am pretty slender and i wonder if i fell or was knocked down if my revolver would stay in the "stow and go". may be this is over analysing but i am thinking about an iwb rig with a retaining screw for my m60. i would like to hear other's opinion on this.
I have the same concern and I like a holster with good retention. I do a quick retention test on holsters when I first get them and periodically over their lifetime. I triple-check to make sure the gun is unloaded, insert it in the holster, hold it a couple of inches over my bed, and give it a couple of light shakes. The shakes don't need to be vigorous, just so it slightly moves. If the gun doesn't come out, the holster passes. I figure this plus belt tension when carrying IWB will keep the gun in the holster should I fall, get knocked down, or have to run.

As for the retaining screw, I think it's a good idea as you can adjust the retention to your liking as well as tighten it up if the holster loosens over time. I would prefer a retaining screw to a thumb break.