View Single Post

Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
US Veteran

Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I'm sure the 10 and 64 "PD trade ins" on GunBroker have sparked many questions

I would bet my next paycheck any newer Model 10 (10-11, 10-14) or 64 (64-5 through -8) being sold as a PD trade in was most likely a security trade in. I would say the last Model 10 to be "issued" by any LE Agency would be 10-10's since these were made in the 1990's, when revolvers were still commonly used by police.

The trend is that PD's don't normally "issue" duty guns anymore, instead the Officers buy their own from an approved list and are reimbursed most or all of the cost. It saves having to worry about an armorer, inspections, maintenance, etc. The LEO is responsible for his-her own weapon.

Even a lot of security companies require their guards to buy their own guns, so you see a lot of Armscor and Taurus revolvers because at $2-300 it's $200 less than a Glock.

I have heard of a lot of 10-10's being used by foreign police such as Japan and Thailand. There have recently been a large lot of 66-7's traded in by an Australian PD.

I am pretty certain no 10-14's are being issued or even carried by any LEO's in the US........if a LEO is carrying a Model 10, he's probably older and the 10 would be an older model, and no younger Officer would carry a new production Model 10 nor would he probably even be allowed to. These days, if I see a LEO with something other than a Glock I'm surprised.........I saw a Deputy Sheriff with what looked like a 5906 and I was pleasantly surprised hahahaha

Last edited by stantheman86; 12-08-2011 at 12:59 PM.