Thread: Smith Governor
View Single Post

Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Liked 993 Times in 378 Posts

No disrespect, but, I feel the revolver chambered in .410 shotshell is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I don't blame S&W, in this particular instance I blame Taurus. I can hardly fault them for creating a gun market where there wasn't one to begin with. Kudos to them for that. Similarly, you can hardly blame S&W wanting to get in on this new cash cow.

I'm just not certain what they expect the user to do with that .410 shotshell. I suppose you could kill a rabbit or squirrel if you were close enough. I know someone makes a specialty shotshell just for .410 revolvers, but I doubt it would be any better than 45LC or 45ACP for defensive purposes.

Now, the drawbacks. For the revolver to chamber a .410 shotshell the cylinder has to be very long compared to any other conventional handgun cartridge. Then when you go to use that conventional hangun cartridge (45LC & 45ACP in the Governor or 45LC in the Judge). You end up with a ton of freebore. Excessive freebore is not conducive to accuracy.

There are other revolvers out there that chamber the 45LC and the 45ACP. Which brings us back to the .410 shotshell. What does the .410 shotshell bring to the party along with a rediculously long & heavy cylinder that the 45LC and the 45ACP can't do equally well or better on their own. If you're looking for snake medicine, I believe CCI makes shotshells in 45LC & 45ACP. I killed a rabbit for the pot with a CCI shotshell in 38 Special at 10 yards.