View Single Post

Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Liked 28,631 Times in 5,157 Posts
Default The Makin' of An Outdoorsman

Working guns have always held a special place with me.
I grew up at a time and place where firearms were tools. Owned and used by ranchers, oilmen, merchants and lawmen.
Used to gather table fare, defend the homestead/headquarters or to bring some outlaw to justice before the Courts.

Be it a carbine, rifle, shotgun, six shooter or semi automatic pistol. Each one had a purpose and no matter how
worn the finish of steel or wood, each scratch, gouge or whittled notch made it a cherished possession.

Back about the time when they were blackin out the bottom of the tv screen when Elvis did his numbers,
I was defining my own style as to the tools of the trade that suited me. A single action revolver and a double action
or two, a couple of lever rifles purty much rounded out my little remuda.

I developed a fondness for the large bores in the late 60s and early 70s. Having made the acquaintance of a firefighter
and master gunsmith who turn me on to the conversions of Smith .38/44 frame revolvers to .44spl and 45 long colt.
Having built a gaggle of 'em over the last 40 years, it jest whetted my appetite for other custom creations of working handguns.

As I near the homestretch of this race, I find myself longing for the older revolvers of my youth and those of my father.
Dividing my time between bendin leather for friends and family, to scourin' the web for prospects for my latest projects.
Handguns not worthy of the purest of collectors, but not ready to be turned out to pasture or gone to seed jest yet.

Although I might refinish one to suit myself...Where as I can put my own wear or tear on 'em.
Other times I jest roll with what's left of the original finish.
Of course the proof is in the puddin, it's got to shoot where's I'm lookin'. And this'n sur nuf does that.

Here sometime last year I uncovered a treasure trove of virgin 38 Special brass along with a couple of syrup buckets full of lead swc bullets.
So, I've been workin on my using revolver inventory in that chambering.

What with a 5" Outdoorsman bring prices that would break a banker...I's jest built my own-self one.

As they say, I believe I've purty much come full circle on this'n.

Mabee, jest mabee, I'll take 'er along on a lit'l date in the tall and un-cut someday soon...

Till Next Time....From Out There

Su Amigo,
Dave

Last edited by keith44spl; 11-30-2013 at 11:51 AM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: