View Single Post

Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 AM

Liked 877 Times in 265 Posts

Confused enough yet? As you can see everyone has preferences and they all fit their needs and intended usage -- but not necessarily yours.

It would be easy to make choices if S&W only made about 10 handguns. When we find that there are hundreds if not thousands of revolver variations available in different calibers, frames, barrel lengths, finishes we quickly learn others can't make the final decision for us.

Like many others here I have a large collection of pre 1980's S&W's in all the frames and finishes. Lots of choices and opportunities to shoot many variations through the years. I currently am shooting 7 different guns in several calibers. From what you describe as your wants and needs, one, IMHO, would ideally fit with the compromises you'd need to accept to make a difficult decision.

1. A 44 Mag/Special is the most versatile and adaptable caliber ranging from light to heavy magnum loads. The 41 Mag is my favorite caliber but if you don't hand-load factory ammo can be very difficult to find and expensive when you do.

2. I'd opt for a 5" barrel length both for better sight radius and balance. The additional barrel length also helps diminish muzzle blast, flip and perceived recoil. Some "Classic" models have quick change varied color front sight blades to adapt the sight picture to different light conditions.

3. An option not often considered for a back woods trail gun is a laser sight. I'd place a Crimson Trace Laser on any gun I chose. The extremely low or non-existent light conditions at night are where you would most likely be confronted by dangerous critters. Accurate shot placement in those conditions could be difficult but crucial. The grips located placement of the laser keeps your regular open sights available should you choose them.

4. If I were choosing a frequent shooter handgun and a "work horse" I'd probably surprise some people by selectinging a new gun rather than an older model. The S&W lifetime warranty is a good one and should you ever have a problem requiring repair they even pay the freight both ways...something to consider for a gun you'll want to practice with frequently.

I'd suggest a current production Mod. 629-6 5" "Classic" with the front sight blade color package option and equip it with a Crimson Trace Laser. You should be able to have all the items mentioned at close to your budget.

Good luck and welcome to the never ending search for the non-existent perfect handgun.....