View Single Post

Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,038 Times in 529 Posts

Got to keep a thread such as this alive. Here's my three digit serial number Chiefs Special.

Also, a couple folks along the way asked qustions and so far as I can see never got responses.

First, from #148 in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majake View Post
I got this from my grandfather who was a sherriff's deputy. It says airweight on the barrel and the ser# is 452xx. Im suspecting it's pretty old. Is it safe to shoot?
From the photo, your revolver appears to be an early Airweight with its original alloy cylinder. You will typically see a caution with regards to these that they are unsafe to shoot, although I cannot verify any instance in which one has actually "blown up." At the very least, now that you are informed of the potential risk involved, if you do nevertheless choose to shoot it, be sure you are using a mild load - absolutely no +P or anything like that in this gun!

Posting #97 also I don't think ever received any answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkn View Post
Here is one I dug out, this has me stumped - I cannot date it as the SCS&W book does not tell of one in the gray box, and the s/n 98J839 is not there either. This one is unfired, 36 no dash, I am guessing mid 60's. Anyone have a clue ? What is value of one like this nowadays ?
Thanks, Rick
That actually is datable from the SCSW - it's one of the infamous "floating J" serial numbered guns, and was most likely shipped in late 1971. I'll leave it to one of our resident experts on S&W packaging to comment on just how unusual the gray box may be and if it enhances the value much above the more common blue box.
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"
The Following 3 Users Like Post: