Thread: Gun Shows
View Single Post

Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM

Liked 331 Times in 221 Posts

Things were better in the far distant past. It was nice back in the day when you could go to a show with several guns, and trade or sell everyone you brought, and come home with a different selection.
I think the internet auctions have really messed up gun show bargains. Now everyone does a check, and then thinks that they should get high end retail prices on their stuff also.

Then we have dealers who really low ball you on trades or sales. An example by brother had a new unfired 4586 DAO S&W in the box with I believe 4 spare NEW magazines, besides the ones that came with it. He got it when he was in the Air Force, then picked up a Wilson Combat 1911 before he fired it. He was wanting a 4" GP100.

Dealers would want to give you Beater Police Trade in wholesale for it. And it had $100 worth of new spare magazines. He finally traded it to an individual wanting a 45 auto for a house gun, who had a new 6" GP100 in Blue. Back to the gunshows with a Blued 6" GP100 new in the box. Would you believe the GP100 was now worth about $350 since it was pre owned. That was up about $75 from the 4586 anyway. He ended up selling to a friend, and ordered a new Willy Clapp GP100.

In the last 5 years I have only purchased 1 gun at a gun show. It was my 310 Night Guard. I had a ball park idea what it was worth. I paid $770 for it, which was in the ball park with GunBroker pricing. Well guess what, I found a dealer with some 310 and 325 Night Guards the next week for $600. That is how my luck normally runs. I did end up with a Great carry gun that I will probably keep forever.

I still go to every close Gun Show that I can. I buy cleaning media, ammo cans, flash lights, batteries, a Gerber wood splitting mall, brass, cast bullets, etc. You can find some bargains now and again. Just not a lot of gun bargains.

I have bought several guns in the last few years. Most from or through my local pawn shop/gun store. If I make an internet purchase I go through him. If I sell something I again go through him. I bought a 1950 Commander Ser. LW 54# a while back off my local dealer. Did a little digging on the history. A local Korean War Jet Jockey bought it new. A few pictures on the Colt Forum, and my local dealer sent it off for me to a new owners FFL. I made a few bucks on the sale. My local dealer made a profit off my original sale, I believe he transfered this one for me free. If he gets a nice Smith & Wesson, Colt or Ruger in he will normally tell me about it.
He has a nice old Pre 64 Winchester 94 in 32 Win Special at the moment for about $600. I need to get my brother into town to look at it. I have an old 1899 Savage from around 1911 or so in 303 Savage I hunt with now and again. My little brother has decided he could use a good lever gun also. That old 94 is about as good as a lever gun gets.

I go to gun shows, but if I am looking for something, the computer auctions, or the For Sale section of the Gun Forums are a better place to shop.

Bob