View Single Post

Old 12-24-2011, 08:47 PM

Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olskool View Post
remember if a bullet is to hard it will not grip the rifling correctly and will not be accurate, a bullet can be to hard. i use a 50/50 mix of WW and soft lead for up to around 2000 fps. in 30-30 ad 32 win. special with no leading to speak of. if you size and lube correctly and use a gas check over 1200 fps you will be fine. if a bullet is not sized right hot gas will cut around the bullet and it will melt and lead the barrel. i never can find enough soft lead i wish i had more.
You said a lot in a short note there! Most boolits these days are too hard, sized too small, and have too hard a lube on them. And people wonder why they don't have good results and get frustrated...

I'm of the school that you can never have too much lead (never know when the .gov types will just outlaw it completely...), so I'd keep it. I'd also decide that if I ever wanted to cast HPs or HBWCs or if I wanted some low-velocity/low-pressure cast boolit loads, it would be wise to have that soft lead to alloy down any harder base material you have. I cut my WWs 40/60 to 50/50 with pure lead to make slow/HP/HB boolits. Harder isn't always better...