View Single Post

Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Interesting thread...My very first, and only one for many years, gun was a M36 SB I inherited when my father died. It was what I learned to shoot with and had no comparison for years....put another way, I didn't know any better and learned to be proficient with it. Sure, I like target shooting with my M14, but have always felt that 90% of the general population is well served by a J Frame. I have carried the full sized service weapons in uniform and they are appropriate for that purpose, but always felt a little higher degree of comfort with that 342PD on the ankle as well.
Now, the daily carry varies a bit depending on destination and season, but that 342 is often dropped in Mika holster with a speed strip on the way out the door. Ideal carry? Many would say "no", BUT it's there, God-forbid I should need it. 50 rounds per range session is enough to remind me of two things: (1.) Yes, I can hit what I need to hit and (2.) 50 rounds in an "AirLite" IS enough for my wrist. So, while there are bigger, better, heavier, higher capacity and more intrinsically accurate choices, the J Frame is likely to be the one I DO carry because of ease of concealment, weight and the areas I am likely to travel into and around. There are always trade-offs.