View Single Post

Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
Welcome to the twentieth century:
Buy one of the adjustable gas plugs & shoot what you want.
Forrest is 100% right! I own one of those plugs and they really work. John C. Garand did not build his rifle with an adjustable gas system because he aimed at building a battle rifle designed to function under the most adverse circumstances, using standard military ammo.

But us Garand users of today have little reason to stick to his wisdom since we don't usually dip the rifle in mud just for the fun of it.

I have been reloading for Garands for thirty years, and because I acquired my habits back then I still cling to "the old way" most of the time. But that's just because I am old and old-fashoned. And, I own and shoot too many Garands to buy one adjustable gas plug for each one of them.

But if I had to use only one Garand or two as my shooters, I would develop my loads as needed (hunting, target, etc.) and would adjust the rifles to the load - using adjustable plugs -rather than the other way round.

Cheers, and may your ears forever rejoice hearing your eight-round clips singing their merry "piiing" at the end of another good string!