View Single Post

Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by linde View Post
I believe you have one of the special run for John Jovino, a NY S&W Distributor, in November 1984. All of the ones I've seen are in the AEU, AEV and AEW s/n prefix. There are believed to have been 1,000 in this special run of 2" and 3" heavy barrel square butt Model 60s . . . the majority reported to be 3".

Based on my observations, the first example of a fixed sight, exposed ejector rod, square butt Model 60 was the 1978 shipment of 171 Model 60-1 with 3" pinned heavy barrels as reported in the SCSW 3rd.

The Jovino run in Nov 1984 (that yours is from) I believe was the second example but was marked simply Model 60 (not sure what happened to the dash 1) and the barrel was not pinned.

The third example apparently was the model 60-3, as exhibited here by vrichard and stiab, although I know very little about it. Would love to hear more for those able to add to the knowledge base.

Starting with the 60-4 they were equipped with target sights and full underlug barrel (with shrouded ejector rod) and are covered pretty well in the SCSW 3rd.

Russ
Sounds like you know the model 60 s well, my 60-4 is serial seq. BKZ44xx I wonder is this series real common or ? I remember reading in one of the mag. publications that this was a Special Edition-Limited production "trail gun" any idea how many they made? Thanks !