View Single Post

Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,278 Times in 617 Posts

The closest I have come is my old 29-2. It was my first 29, bought new in 1980. At the time being young and tough, the only load I believed in was 22 grains of 2400 with a Keith 240 SWC, and I used to shoot this gun a lot! After a boat load of these rounds the gun went out of time. So I sent it back to the the factory and Smith overhauled and reblued the gun at no charge. Being that I still didn't learn my lesson I kept up with my pet load. Awhile later the trigger stud broke. Once again off to the factory, they repaired the stud, overhauled the gun and reblued it once again at no charge. By this time I had learned my lesson and slacked off a bit on my loads. About this time I read about master tuner Andy Cannon in American Handgunner so I figured what better gun to have tuned than my trusty old 29-2 so off it went to Montana for a deluxe tuning! I still have the gun, other than a slight bit of endshake its in good shape and shoots great but it is semi retired now and I only shoot light to mid range loads in it these days. If I have the urge to step things up a bit I grab one of my other newer .44's