View Single Post

Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 PM

Liked 588 Times in 187 Posts

I have never worn out a gun. But I never have shot any centerfire enough to try. I have seen 45acp barrels that had quite a bit of wear in the barrel! I do not shoot HOT loads in my guns unless I am shooting to sight in and carrying in the woods. I do not shoot these for fun. Just me.

I have shot several hundred thousand 22LR's in several rifles and handguns. It is my honest opinion that a 22 can't be worn out by shooting it. But the cheaper ones will wear out by functioning. Meaning inferior material used in the gun will wear.

I have shot countless rounds in my 40X sporter, (10's of thousands or rounds), and it hardly shows wear.

I believe the comment about wearing out a Ruger MKII is probably due to improper cleaning. I have shot 10's of thousands of rounds in mine and they are still shooting great. Ruger guns are tough.

I did have a 6" 19 and a early 17 that Andy Cannon work on for me. He lived on the south side of the lake from me. They were absolutely works of art. I regret selling those guns. They shot beautifully.

John