Thread: 32 Short Colt ?
View Single Post

Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked 1,465 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburg View Post
The Colt round is smaller. There is just no way you'll manage to get a 32 S&W round in the Colt Chamber. We tried. The S&W round uses a bullet that is about .311-.312.-.313 while the Colt uses a tiny .299 bullet.

I kind of wonder if the Colt rounds can't be fired in a S&W chambered gun. It'd be loose and sloppy along with very inaccurate, I'd guess. But just as 32 S&W can apparently be fired in a 32-20, maybe we have one of those ugly situations that could work in a dire emergency.
I have two rounds of this load somewhere around. My dad bought a box of them for his H&R 632 Guardsman when he couldn't find the .32 S&W (short) in supply. This was in the late 1970's. The load was made by Winchester.

The Colt cartridge was a heeled, outside lubed bullet...it worked as an EMERGENCY substitute...but it split cases and lead. In addition, the barrel and cylinder required a MASSIVE amount of scrubbing with Hoppe's and a brush!

While I know it was at one time a Police favorite, I would have had FAR more faith in the S&W cartridges than the heeled bullet Colt ones...just something about them that didn't inspire confidence.