View Single Post

Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

Hi Ron:

I suffered injuries to my wrists that cause them to "unlock" under the recoil of a .45ACP semi-auto which results in my "weak wristing" the piece and causes an FTE (failure-to-extract). This is in the 1911 pattern semi-auto, and I really should try a 3rd Generation S&W one day to see if that could be an issue for me there. Experience and experimentation has shown that the largest caliber semi-auto I can fire competently and without causing FTEs is .40S&W - which for me, is plenty good medicine especially in the 180gr. loadings. I can and still use a .45ACP revolver without problems, and the .45ACP is one of my favorite calibers. Shortly after I got my 625 I was firing it at the range. An older gentleman stood by and watched me shoot for a while, and then asked me: "What kind of gun is that?" When I told him what it was, he asked: "Why in the world do you want to carry something like that?" My response was: "Well sir, a .44 is a little small, and they don't make a .46" I don't think he cared for my humor, as he packed up and left.

Best of luck,

Dave
The Following 4 Users Like Post: