View Single Post

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfighter48 View Post
I just put a YHM flip up sight/gas block on my Sport a few weeks ago. The taper pins are put in very tight. Support the barrel with wood blocks or you can buy a front sight block to hold it. I used wood blocks. AR-15 FRONT SIGHT BENCH BLOCK - Brownells The pins come out from left side to the right side. I had to buy a set of steel punches to get the pins out. My brass punches bent to much. It will take a few good whacks with a hammer to break them loose and then they will fall out.

The gas tube has a small roll pin that also has to come out. It will take a 1/16 in punch to get it out. On my Sport the gas tube pin hole on the left side had to be enlarged slightly to pass the
1/16 in punch. I used a 3/8 drill bit by hand to enlarge the hole. A couple of raps with the hammer and it will come out ok. Save the pin, you'll need it when you put the new sight/gas block on.
You'll need to take the flash suppressor off the front of the barrel to get the sight off. It took me about 1/2 hour to get everything off and the new flip up sight base back on.
Good explanation. I did the same for another gentleman on here literally yesterday. It is not as difficult as some would let on, but needs patient attention. I do however want to add to your abridged tutorial that the proper punch size for the gas tube pin is 5/64, gotten at any hardware store, and require no fitting to use. Other than that, same description I gave, and yours took less typing! DIY is the best way to learn about the inner workings.