Thread: Cleaning a 617
View Single Post

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cleaning my 617

I own a 617-6 6 inch revolver and I tried to read all the techniques that others have used for cleaning when I first got the handgun. Here is what I have done. I thoroughly cleaned the gun when received to remove any manufacturers oil – grease, etc. That included spraying the bore and all cylinders with a solvent and then running a zillion patches through till they came out clean. I then lightly oiled the hinge areas and the extractor rod. I did not oil any bores or cylinders since we were to shoot the next day. After shooting sessions I do not clean the barrel, I have looked with a light and all seems clean and bright down the bore. (I try to use only copper jacketed 22s.)

For regular cleaning: I dip a Q-tip in Shooter’s Choice MC#7 and swab the inside of each of the ten cylinders, the front and back of the barrel, and the area around the forcing cone. I let it set for a while and then run a brass bore brush through the ten cylinders. I use a toothbrush around the forcing cone and front of the cylinder. I have some marine bronze wool pieces twisted together and use it like dental floss at the top and around the sides of the forcing cone. I have not had to use a brass brush – yet.

Now it is clean up time –I run patches through the ten cylinders till they come out clean. A microfiber cloth usually cleans up the areas at the front and back of the cylinder and around the forcing cone. I especially make sure the extractor has no crud at the trigger side so that it will seat flush at the cylinder. I clean off any black residue on the gun with a lead removing cloth.

Oiling with FP-10 – I Oil the hinges, and the extractor making sure to work the extractor action and that the cylinder rotates smoothly.

I then finish off the cleaning with a silicone cloth rub down of the entire outside stainless steel to remove all finger prints and shine it up.

My 617 likes CCI HP and they are always easy to extract. I also have used Winchester in the 555 pack and after a few hundred rounds they are harder to extract. After a cylinder cleaning there is no problem to extract the Winchesters.

Love the 617!