Thread: Model 296 Info
View Single Post

Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love my S&W 296. I have it set up with a Crimson Trace LG-306 and I load it with Corbon 200 grain DPX - a sweet round featured in one of Stephen Camp's reviews (may he rest in peace).

.44 special DPX review

I have three holsters for it - a FIST #20 which never gets used, a Lobo Gunleather IWB which is used sparingly (I like it best for IWB on this model, however) and a Mika's pocket holster which gets used 99% of the time. I used to ccw it in cargo pants until my wife stole it for her purse gun - a subject I have mixed feelings about! These days, she carries it every day with 5 DPX in the chambers and two speedloaders. Yep, these days I find myself with my trusty S&W 442 in the pocket or IWB. These snubs sure do come in handy when concealment is a priority. I load the 442 with DPX as well.

Sure, it packs a wallop on your hands, but this is not a range gun. I've found it to be wonderfully accurate and a trusty companion for my families self defense needs. It has a wicked profile and the .44 special is a great round for two legged predators. The only other snub .44 special carry pieces I am aware of are the charter arms models, the rossi 720, and the taurus'. But what can I say - they just aren't S&W.

If you can find one - get it! Clean it like I do - some breakfree CLP and a nylon brush - that will ensure your titanium parts don't lose their finish or sustain any damage - a subject you can read more about re: titanium cylinders.

Its a funny gun - sort of like a j frame on steroids, and one of the only models I know of that is beautiful in part because of its ugliness

Last edited by Tony_the_tiger; 01-13-2012 at 02:51 AM.