View Single Post

Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 AM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
The 650 may be a little faster in the scenario above, but if you are going to load pistol, rifle, small primer, large, and use one press, its hands down the 550. If large bulk runs or dedicated one caliber or primer size, get a 650. As one said here already, if you change a lot, the auto indexing can be very aggravating when your trying to setup new dies, or just switch bullets in a same cartridge but must adjust seating depth, tool heads once setup and kept, make that much easier with either press, but die adjustment and seating depth adjustment, is a pain when the handle moves constantly and you can't stop the rotation of the shell plate.

Regardless of your needs, these should be the only two progressives you ever need or consider, I won't mention the unmatched dedication to customer support or the true meaning of an NO B.S. WARRANTY!!
Running both, I can tell you the 650 is more than a little bit faster, but at a cost & complexity. It's why I leave it setup for 45acp & just run it that way. I can easily do 700rds/hr sustained. The best you are getting out of a 550B w/o case feeder is maybe 450rds/hr. The case feeder makes it that much faster. Adding one to a 550B, if you can keep it running right, will get you upto "close". For the guy that only loads 1000rds & wants to change over, the 550B is hard to beat. For the guy that wants to load 5K rds a month of one or two calibers, 650, no contest.