View Single Post

Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Liked 12,803 Times in 4,228 Posts

I'm not as well-versed in a variety of guns like many members here, but I've shot SA 1911s, a DA/SA Beretta 92FS (and the similar Taurus PT92), DA/SA Sigs (a P220 and a P228), a Glock 23 and a Glock 22, and S&W DA revolvers. Out of all those action types, I shot the DA revolver consistently better. I say consistently because I've shot a couple of great groups with the Beretta (including a 4-leaf clover at 25 yards and 4 rounds into the same hole at 5 yards rapid fire) that surpassed my best groups with revolvers, but they tended to be flukes.

When I worked as an armed guard I qualified on .38/357, 9mm, and .45ACP using my issued (and factory stock) S&W Model 10, a Beretta 92FS, and an accurized 1911, respectively. My highest scores were always with the DA revolver and it didn't matter if I shot it first or last. However, I never shot poorly with the semi-autos. IIRC I averaged about 90% with the semi-autos and about 95-96% with the DA revolvers. (I should probably note that at the time I was averaging about 1k rounds/month at the range and at least 3-4 hours of dry fire practice a week, far more than I can manage now.)

I never really understood why I shot the revolver better, even when I practiced 4 or 5 times as much with the semi-autos. My own theory is that the grip angle combined with the rolling trigger feel made it easier for me to get more of a surprise break than the other guns.