Thread: 500 magnum
View Single Post

Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Liked 877 Times in 265 Posts

The 500 is probably the most scrutinized and debated S&W handgun in modern history... Arguably it is probably the best designed and the strongest framed production double action revolver ever created. Like many others on this board I own one and I love it!

It is not, however, a gun and a caliber intended for everyone's use. They can have substantial recoil, an extraordinary noise report, be rather bulky for carry, and be a very expensive gun to shoot if the owner doesn't reload.

No regular production handgun compares to it as an effective hunting tool. No regular production handgun delivers the energy a 500 can provide. No other regular production handgun can provide the one shot confidence in a life threatening situation.

I would suggest to anyone thinking of buying a 500 consider all the above issues and evaluate their tolerance for all these issues before they buy. Actually shooting a friends 500 would confirm your decision.

After over 35 years of successful hunting with S&W 41 and 44 Mags, I switched to a 6.5" 500 and I'm happy with that decision. I chose the 6.5 because of the compromise sight radius and that barrel lengths comfort of carry in a shoulder holster.

Again, I would strongly suggest to any potential owner they seriously consider their tolerance for all these issues before they make a purchase. If I were buying a new 500 today I would look seriously at the John Ross 500 with its 5" non-compensated barrel. Whatever you choose they are fine, tough firearms and worthy of their earned status in the S&W line-up....

JMHO