View Single Post

Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 PM

Liked 548 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFireman View Post
Nick,

There were a total of 3500 or so CS-1's produced....Janet Reno had about 1500 of them destroyed after she found out that they were being sold to mere citizens. That number included both 3 and 4 inch versions. As far as I remember, there were at least 5000 of the 3" 66 produced...so my bet would lie on the 686 CS-1 of any length being more 'rare' than the 66 3"

Maybe someone has the actual production numbers for the 66's?....I'm just going off of memory here...
The Border Patrol contracted pretty much the same thing, a four inch round butt 686, but they were marked BP-1. I was issued one in 1990 and carried it until I got off probation and thought I needed a semi. I've never seen one on the civilian market, likely due to Janet Reno's fanatacism. I would not bank on them being destroyed, however. They were supposed to be, but I would not be surprised if there are crates of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Weapons obsolete to one agency might wind up on the GSA schedule and available to other agencies...