Thread: .455 Webley!!?
View Single Post

Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked 6,251 Times in 2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
In his book "Feet Wet" retired Navy fighter pilot Paul Gillchrist recalls returning from a flight over North Vietnam and being diverted from his carrier to Danang. He went to relax at the DOOM Club (Danang Officer's Open Mess), where there was a sign just beyond the entrance "Leave guns here" with a bunch of pegs below it. He hung up his .455 Webley revolver, and a 38 revolver, but kept what he described as a 32 caliber five shot palm gun in the pocket of his flight suit. I can't imagine why he was carrying a Webley revolver (he even puts the period before '455' in the description) instead of a Smith or Colt, for which he could get 45 ACP ammo and I wonder if the description of the 'palm gun' might even refer to a Chicago palm pistol. The 38 revolver was probably a Victory. I had to read this a couple of times before I believed what I was seeing. I guess our guys carried just about one of everything over there.
Doubtful. Not only was it 32 Rimfire, which had been obsolete since WW2, but it was a 7-shot, as you can see in this video.
Chicago Palm Protector Pistol operation in action 32 rimfire - YouTube