View Single Post

Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 AM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Sear View Post
I was advised in my CCW class to NEVER ever carry handloaded ammunition. If you end up using it in a self defense situation, that will needlessly give you exposure for some poop-heel lawyer to convince a gullible jury that you concocted super deadly double secret probation ammo designed to cause needless suffering and injury or death to his poor, misunderstood client (who had a difficult childhood). If you use factory made ammo, the manufacturer is liable for that.

So the theory goes, anyway. FWIW, YMMV, ETC.
We've beat this to death several times on this forum, I guess everyone that knows about it is as lazy as me and hasn't posted any links.

Anyway, "the don't use reloads for self defense" was started with an article by Masaad Ayoob. Mas, who is a member here, has joined in on several of the discussions and made it clear that the reason he made that statement was that in case you had to defend yourself in court, handloaded ammunition didn't have factory records and samples that could be entered in your behalf. It had nothing to do with any malfeasance from the "barristers".

If your instructor really told you that any ammo maker is going to take the heat off of you because you shot someone with "their" ammo, please tell him I said he's an idiot. They are only responsible for injuries or damage caused by defects in their product.