View Single Post

Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Thanks for the reply FirebirdV8. I'm going to get the lettering paperwork off to SW this week. I bet Jinks has a big pile on his desk all the time. Do you know the typical wait time to get a reply from Jinks? As you have said.. collecting old Smiths is certainly an adventure.

On another note... Goony mentioned a couple of threads back the variation in the length of the muzzle end curved notch on the slide. I have kind of a theory on that. I have been in the business of selling CNC machine tools for just about my whole working life.... Back in the 1950s, before computer controlled milling machines were available, Smith would have had to use a tracer mill or other type thing to maintain a consistent spec length on the notch and other features. They might have actually been cutting the notch on Bridgeport mills one by one and thus not maintained a real consistent length.

It still amazes me that such beautiful guns were made essentially one by one on manual machine tools where a machinist had to constantly operate the tool.
The Following User Likes This Post: