View Single Post

Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,989 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy714 View Post
Sorry for showng my lack of knowledge regarding the 39 (I just picked up my first recently) but are those open "military" magazines really that scarce? I saw one on Gunbroker a week or so back and it was something like $400! Second what use is a dustcover (obviously for keeping the pistol dust free as the military were going to use it) but how does it work? Where does it go?!
The military magazines are not common. That said, there's a lot of stuff on GunBroker that's priced to sell only to the desperate, uninformed, or filthy rich.

The dustcover is essential - I never shoot a Model 39 without one mounted! Just kidding, of course. You're right that this accessory reflects a military preoccupation with keeping debris out of the action, but that's about where the need ends. If you look closely (and this is easier to see in the photo posted by Model 39 than in mine), there is a groove on each side of the frame just below the slide and running back from the front to the vicinity of the slide stop cutout. The lower lips of the dust cover fit in there. It is then anchored by the protruding pin of the slide stop lever on the pistol's back (right) side.
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"