View Single Post

Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by team sidewinder View Post
How much do you clean your MP 15-22 ? I have heard over the years from some sources that a cleaning a 22LR cal. too much can be more harmful too little cleaning. Now that modern .22LR cal. ammo have less corrosive powder and better bullets with which cause less leading. For me I may only shoot 50 rounds at the most every time I go out shooting gophers ( sometimes once a week in the summer ) and while I clean my other guns everytime I finish shooting. I do use them a lot less with longer times between use.

Also I am using gun grease on my MP 15-22 bolt slides ( same grease I use on my pistol slide ) and while I know in cold weather this could be too heavy of a lube I feel it offers better lube/protection for the conditions I will be using this weapon. Any opinions ? Maybe it is just me.
Never use grease on a .22lr action (except AR15-22 triggers). The round produces lots of crude and stuff and all you are doing is making up a gloop that will cause the gun to malfunction more than it should. I use Militec-1 grease on parts of my STI open racegun but would never put it on any of my rimfire firearms. 22LR shoot better drier than a centerfire gun. Grease will actually cause more wear than no lube at all. Should not even use Hoppe's #9 on a rimfire either (leeches into the chamber area and causes premature wear). Clean the bolt, feedramp, and breech face, lube the rails with some kind of synthetic CLP like Eezox or Militec-1, and run a boresnake through the barrel. Blow out the trigger area once in awhile and grease the critical areas of the trigger if your maker says to. That is it. Take that from someone who shoots upwards of 20K per year with rimfires in competition and practice.