View Single Post

Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Liked 37 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmoresmiths View Post
You could start by sending a copy of this post to both Hornady and Hodgdon, via e-mail. It would be interesting to hear what each has to say.

Personally, as a new reloader, I suggest that you start by loading a mid-range load at say 1000 fps, using Unique or possibly AA#5, with a 158 grain bullet. I would suggest a lead SWC, although a plated or jacketed bullet will work just as well. Get some experience under you belt. There is no need to beat yourself up or the gun with magnum loads.

If you are stuck on loading magnum loads, you may want to consider AA#7 or AA#9, or some other powder that doesn't pose the same problems as H110, at least until you hear back from both Hornady and Hodgdon.

Still another option is to start with the lower charge weight (Hornady's). Start by loading 10 rounds at 17.5 grains. Load one round into the gun at a time and test them over a chronograph. Make sure you see a hole in the target after each shot to be sure there is nothing stuck in the barrel, or use a wooden dowel to be sure the barrel is clear of any obstructions. After 10 shots increase the powder charge slightly and check the next batch until you hit the velocity you want.

My strongest advice is to start with the mid range loads until you have some experience, or better yet find an experienced reloader to help and teach you.
I sent both Hornady and Hodgdon email yesterday. If and when I get a reply, I will post.
The Hornady handbook list A no.9, H 110, HS-7 and WIn 296 is that order for powders that " produced excellent results". When I was at the guns store, I tried to purchase Accurate #9. The gun store did not carry A No. 9. So, the next powder on the list was H 110.