View Single Post

Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 AM

Liked 3,591 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector-Callahan View Post
Free advice: If she will be seeking any formal instruction, I have found it most effective coming from a THIRD party. I have seen this first hand. Someone's spouse offers a "pointer" only to be negatively received as overbearing, over critical, etc etc etc. SAME POINTER given by a qualified third party instructor, is positively received and more quickly digested.

I can't explain "why", all I can say is that's how it IS!!!

IC
I do know that but thanks for the remind, I plan on just covering the basics with her at home to help get her going. I will go over the safety rules and basic mechanics of the firearms along with sight picture. If it actually turns out after a few time she really likes shooting and wishes to progress past just the fun plinking stage then I have no problems bringing in experts, or buying the necessary equipment, even if it means my equipment wants have to wait.

My plan is just to start at my club with a .22 rifle from a bench teach her the manual of arms and let her have fun shooting small reactive targets. There quite a few guys there that are Camp Perry 3 position rifle shooters that can help teach her proper techniques if she wants to learn how to get off the bench. I'm more interested in keeping it safe and fun rather than a fundamentals drill session. The owner of the range and friend of 20 years is also a qualified NRA pistol instructor and quite the ladies man. All female newbies with handguns get passed off to Bob for a "qualification session". Seriously though, I trust Bob with my life.