View Single Post

Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 PM

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

My primary shooter for the longest time was a Glock 17 and after more than two decades, if I'm going deep into the woods alone, that stalwart companion's coming along--I trust it intrinsically. I have a very sweet Glock 27 that came with with a nickel boron slide and barrel at no extra cost that I've come to like--it's very low maintainance and quite accurate for its size.

All that said, my primary shooter/carry pistol around town is now an M&P 40c. Maybe over time, it will prove as reliable as the Glocks--so far, so good. I think I got a slightly better than normal trigger out of the box, but my Glock's still have smoother triggers overall.

Personally, I can work around the difference in triggers and as said, I prefer the M&P and that's because it just feels a bit better (ergonomically) in my hands than do the Glocks. I can carry it and draw an M&P easier--it feels more like a natural extension of my body than do Glocks. The Glocks feel a bit cold and blocky in comparison, even though I'm used to them.

As I shoot the M&P more and more, the trigger is breaking in a bit but I've never been much for 'trigger jobs'. I knew it wasn't a Sig or HK going in and didn't want to make it into such.

I feel that in a way, a gun to an experienced shooter is like a musicial instrument to a practiced musician--if you learn to work well with what's in your hands with good fundamental skills, you can get good results with a variety of equipment. Some of the greatest musicians, as well as photographers (Ansel Adams for one) spoke very strongly on how you don't need expensive equipment to get wonderful results--it's how you sense things--how you work with what's in your hands. I feel that way about guns.

From when I was old enough to hold a rifle--a Daisy BB gun that I was able to shoot down clothes lines or shooting from the hip, take out frogs with (bad, I know)--I have felt that a lot of times, it's more the user than the equipment itself that determines results. I'm glad I came up poor and had some real low budget guns, as it taught me to work with and appreciate what I had, then as well as now.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: