Thread: Wadcutters
View Single Post

Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Liked 335 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
I honestly believe that firearms and the means to load and fire them effectively have been around long enough now that if there was any merit to loading bullets backwards, someone would've figured it out, and there would be common factory loadings, or at the least, published load data for the technique. I think the full wadcutter is probably the pinnacle of achievement when it comes to "the target impact effect of full WCs" and I doubt any change in shape, front or rear will improve upon the performance of that design in your stated example. As has already been said, just get or cast yourself some WC's, load them to spec. and be content that you have a bullet that does wadcutters as well as they can be done.
I totally agree with this. We loaded them backwards for years and never found any evidence that they were any more effective,or expanded to any appreciable degree with the hollow base forward.
For a target load thay work pretty well for defense just as they are due to the efficient shape.
I believe we reach a point of dimishing returns eventually with everything,just as with using full house magnums in short barreled revolvers. There's really only so much we can do with a handgun bullet,although modern technology and design has made them better.