View Single Post

Old 02-05-2012, 05:28 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,788 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmo View Post
My new Bodyguard BG38 snubbie locked up on me yesterday. This is after only one month and one box of ammo since new. At least it failed during a practice session and not when I needed it for protection.

The trigger is locked to the back, the cylinder is locked up, and it will not release and swing out of the gun. I've got a warranty return request in with S&W... We'll see how they take care of business. I've never needed their service with any of my other revolvers so this is new for me.

I've owned S&W revolvers since the mid 1980s and currently have three others besides the Bodyguard. All of them are "lock-less" actions and have generally been used as hunting and hiking guns. They include a 4" Model 629 Mountain Gun, a 6" Model 686, and my first a Model 60 38 Special (non +P) snubbie. The Bodyguard beat this Model 60 in four of the five pocket pistol categories I look for: 1) light weight; 2) accuracy; 3) caliber; 4) snag free design; 5) reliability. Unfortunately, the category it lost is the most important... RELIABILITY !!

With one of my Glocks at my side I'll keep you posted on how S&W handles this recalcitrant little revolver.

Edmo
I got rid of my BG38 after only a short time as there is a problem with the revolver that I found. It is repeatable and others have noticed, although it has been minimized in the gun magazine articles and on this forum.

The problem is apparently inherent to the design and repeatable. When you close the cylinder, you can close it in such a way that the first pull of the trigger will NOT advance the cylinder to the next charge hole. This is readily discoverable through observation and is only noticeable during shooting if you load a single round in the cylinder so that when it advances it is the first round fired. Open and close the cylinder and carefully watch for the cylinder to advance - don't just assume it is. Eventually, you will hit the "sweet spot" and your cylinder will not roll when you pull the trigger.

I know all sorts of people will jump on here and act like it has not happened to them, but it was possible to repeat it with every one of these revolvers I have tried.

The standard J Frame is less expensive and has not exhibited this problem in the 40 years I have been shooting the J Frames. I went back to those models as I lost all trust in the new BG38.