View Single Post

Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked 6,299 Times in 2,337 Posts

Only one centerfire rifle? Once I only owned a single centerfire rifle... a 1903-A3 w/ two-groove barrel. It was of course in GI configuration. So... if I could only own a single centerfire rifle, I'd take my Remington 1903-A3 and have it drilled and tapped. I beg or buy a 03-A4 bolt and fit a nice Leupold scope. Given that the rifle is in a nice USGI "C" stock, I'd then have a setup that would allow me to enjoy shooting one of the best military surplus bolt action rifles ever made as well as shooting a caliber that earned well it's reputaiton as the "Queen of the battlefield!" Second choice would be to put a nice extended-eye relief scope on my K-98 Mauser. The result would be very close to the sort of setup used by the German army in WWII. With some nice 7.92mm ball and a few boxes of some of the European loaded hunting ammo... I'd be set for just about anything in North America. And... either rifle could be fired with handloaded cast lead bullets to be very effective for small game, target practice, etc.