Thread: Mid Range .357
View Single Post

Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 AM

Liked 3,814 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger-p94 View Post
I'm loading for the first time tomorrow and using the 158 LSWC I cast and the Lee book says the starting load for it is 5.2 and max is 6.0. for Unique. I figure I will start off around 5.5 and get a good base line on what the light load is and then work up till I find a nice accurate target load for my 13-3
Amazing how different various books can be.

My data shows 6 ~ 8.4g.... Wait, I think I know what's up...

The data for LEAD is lower and the data for jacketed is higher.

I have been loading for 30 years, so I have had experience, therefore I suggest you gain yours in the safest way possible - through caution and good records.

I used the jacketed data as weight is MOST important. Construction is too, but here's where experience pays dividends and allows deviation from the data. If you understand that jacketed bullets have more resistance than lead, you realize that pressure is lower for a given bullet weight - jacket vs lead.

You also gain velocity with lead over jacketed for the same powder charge.

With that in mind, I used the jacketed data for my loads in both the 65-5 and today, the 13-3 - just like yours.

I found that the 7g Unique load with a cast 160g SWC shot to POA in the 13.3 and it is accurate indeed.

Work your way up to it and let us know what you think of that load, which is not a maximum load in any event.