View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

Hmm, I just got a piece of information that doesn't quite upset the apple cart, but it does invite further thought about markings on these guns.

I was privately informed by a S&W collector who served in the Air Force when the M56 was issued to pilots that he saw/handled around 150 of these guns during his term of service. He reports that not one of them had service markings, so the gun we have been discussing here may in fact be unmodified.

The collector also provided information showing that the initial production statistics of this model were understated. It now appears there were over 20,000 of them, with serial numbers ranging from 500001 to 520800. MAJOR CORRECTION HERE: Apologies. I misunderstood what I heard. Total production remains 15,205; the serial number range is 500001 to 520800. Model 56 production was intermixed with some Model 15 production within this block of serial numbers.

The number of known survivors is quite small. One collector who tracks serial numbers of existing M56 specimens told me he has fewer than three dozen recorded in his data base. Another collector said he doubted there are more than 50 in circulation. I don't know what sort of statistical process could let us estimate from low-level observation how large a population of the guns may actually exist, but if the survivor rate of this model is one percent or less, there cannot be more than about 150 units for collectors to chase.

I'll try to keep reporting on the M56 as new thoughts, information or conclusions come to me.

Last edited by DCWilson; 02-10-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Add important correction.
The Following User Likes This Post: