Thread: 686+ or 1911
View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

The most reliable evil-bottom-feeding/rude-case-tossing semi-auto in .45 ACP I've ever shot or owned was an early Glock 21. Great accuracy, too. +2 extenders increased it to 15 rounds... you could feel it getting lighter - and often wondered why you put a full mag in it. Never a hiccup, no matter the standard ball ammo used.The most boring gun I've ever owned - couldn't wait to say goodbye. My last 'real' semi-auto, I sold it over a dozen years ago as I morphed into a round gun lover. Unlike the 'loose-as-a-goose' 1911s I toted on watch in the USN, it didn't rattle like spurs as I walked, either! Come to think of it, those old loose 1911s never hiccuped, either. I've witnessed plenty of tight examples jam, however, at the range. Not awe-inspiring reliability.

Nothing has character like a revolver. The best shooting .45 ACP handgun I've ever shot - which I also have the pleasure of owning - is my 625JM. I would consider a .45 ACP revolver, but the 625JM is only available in a 4"-er now, hardly a CCW. Closer - but still out of the realm of a pocket gun - is the Governor. It'll take the moonclipped .45 ACPs, and some other rounds as well (.45 Schofield & Colt as well as 2.5" .410 shells.). It has a 2.75" SS lined barrel and SS cylinder in it's Al/Sc frame, with a tritium Night Sight on front. Oddly, it's cost is hundreds less than either the 625JM or the 325 Night Guard. Here is mine with a .500 Magnum Hogue grip, the OEM grip is alongside:

It hits coincident POI/POA at 7-12yd with ball ammo. Great home/car protector, whether your choice of .45 ACP defensive ammo or .45 Colts, like my favored 250gr Gold Dots. You could always do a little urban renewal with some shot shells, too. Nothing like plinking with the ball ammo, either - and at <$90/250 (UMC) at Wally World, little more costly than .38 reloads. It is a frugal to shoot 'big bore', too.

Now, if you want a short barreled .357M/.38, consider a 2 5/8" PC627 UDR, an 8-shot admittedly N-frame. Still, what a package. A bit more moola than a 686 - but what a package. Moonclip ready, too, it comes with smallish Eagle wooden boot grips.

Stainz