View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Banned

Liked 1,451 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogilvyspecial View Post
I have two of the S&W ported barrel J Frames but only use them as either a house, or range gun.

Having shot them at night I've seen the direction & amount of the flash, which is especially pronounced on the .327 Fed Mag rounds. Based on what I've seen, flash-wise, I can only imagine what would happen if I were in my vehicle and had to shoot at someone trying to get in my door or at me through the window.

If I only had time enough to pull my gun and hold it in front of my body with the barrel angled up at the window the port would be aimed directly at my face. If I pulled the trigger then, there is no doubt in my mind that I would get a face full of flash / blast. At least with my non-ported guns the flash would be directed towards the window.

Also, if I had a passenger and someone were trying to get in that side of the vehicle and I had to fire across my passenger's body I would have to conciously think about the angle of the gun or run the risk of blasting my passenger right in the face with the flash coming out of the port.

I feel that in a house setting the chances are reduced that I would possibly have to shoot with the gun held & angled in the manner(s) described.

To be honest, none of the issues mentioned by the OP were ever a concern of mine, just the direction of the blast.
Interesting post, you did bring up one point I meant to mention.

Be sure you carry low flash rounds for SD in a ported gun, or a snub nose for that matter. Excellent point you made that, I forgot.

On the other, I was comparing normal barrel length guns to snubs and stated so. I would not port a snub, it's noise and flash issues are a issue from jump street, just my opinion for me, you did what you thought best on your gun, as you should. You do make a good point on the angle of shooting out of a seated car position vs the angle of the barrel back toward your face. However, there are issues with just about any gun in certain situations, there is no perfect gun. Also I drive a larger truck, so for me shooting up probably is not going to happen, but I agree it is something to think about in a car. I don't see porting being the issue with a passenger in your scenario, unless your arms are 4-5 feet long, you are firing a snub and it will be in their face, the fireball in the face is a given.

All in all good, well thought out response, I appreciate your taking the time to kick it around.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: