View Single Post

Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,072 Times in 2,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhillhouse View Post
Thanks ArchAngelCD for the tip on Trail Boss Powder. I had a gunsmith check this old top break H&R in 38 S&W and he thought it was solid. I bought a box of 158 gr. hornady lead bullets, some small pistol magnum primers, a can of Trail Boss. Ordered some 38 brass and loaded a few rounds. The first round I loaded pretty light, then stepped it up a couple at a time. Found reload formular on the net for Trail Boss. First shot sounded like a cap gun. Second sounded like a pistol, hit a target dead center about 20 ft. Pistol shoots great. Looking foward to shooting it a lot more. It shoots real straight. We know the pistol hasn't been fired from at least 1942. Thanks y all for all your info!!
I'm very happy that worked out for you and I'm glad I could steer you in the right direction. There are a lot of new powders on the market and sometimes I feel they are just duplicating what we already have but not with Trail Boss. It isn't everything for everybody but it does do what it was designed to do very well. Trail Boss is perfect for loading smokeless ammo to Black Powder pressures!
SWCA #3437