Thread: Pre 29
View Single Post

Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,705 Times in 2,624 Posts

Firestorm34, I fear you have been given bad information. The basic joke in collector circles is that refinishing is a process in which you pay $200 (or more!) in order to cut a gun's value in half.

Collectors value originality. A pristine original finish is worth a lot. A pristine refinish is worth much less. In fact, a worn original finish is worth much more to a collector than a good looking refinish.

You hear a broad distinction between collector-grade guns and shooter-grade guns. No collector will value a refinished gun as anything more than shooter grade, no matter how good it looks.

In some cases a factory refinish will be considered less damaging to a gun's value than a non-factory refinish, but we are talking about old bluing processes that are no longer used. The older a factory refinish is (1920s, 1930s, for example) the less loss of value there will be to a refinish. Recent refinishes of recently produced models (in the last half century) will not be so lucky.

Here and in your other post in the separate thread you started it sounds as though you have a refinished gun in the wrong case. I am afraid the hard news is that its collector value is non-existent, but you might find someone who wants a good looking shooter who would be willing to pay a little over a thousand for it. I don't see how you can get close to the $3500 you mentioned in a different post.