View Single Post

Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 AM
US Veteran

Liked 194 Times in 100 Posts

I joined the Air Force a year after graduating high school. Originally, I had planned on joining the Navy. During the year before joining, I had conversations with many friends who joined other branches immediately after graduation. Every one of them advised me to join the Air Force.

So, from 5 May 68 to 30 November 79 (that's 11 years, 6 months and 28 days). I was a member of the United States Air Force. Was fortunate to have qualified for electronics (avionics) training and spent almost a year in tech school.

After graduation, I was assigned to Japan, Korea, England, Germany, Panama and sundry other places. I went in as a somewhat immature eighteen year old and left as a thirty year old with a wife and very small son.

I always had fairly decent living quarters, staying mostly in two man rooms. Even TDY, I had a decent room to live in. The quality of the food in the show hall was pretty decent also. As an avionics technician in the USAF I was treated better than many officers in other branches. I always felt fortunate for my life as an airman. I learned a lot, saw many things and experienced things that some others have only dreamed of.

One time, while TDY to Panama, I had hitched a ride in an Army Huey. The cargo doors were open and we had a great view of the canal and the associated jungle area. At one point, we flew through a cloud. Just for grins, I extended my arm and "grabbed" a piece. When I returned home, I told my son that I had touched a cloud. He was so impressed, that, even as an adult he would mention that experience. Definitely unique.

Last edited by Babalooie; 02-15-2012 at 03:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: