View Single Post

Old 02-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Liked 716 Times in 274 Posts
Default Reloading .32 ACP

I've been reloading .32 ACP for several years using Magtech 71 grain FMJ's. These run .311-.312 inches in diameter. The brass has been a mixture of Magtech, R-P, Winchester, Federal and Speer. Function and performance has been excellent with several fast-burning powders.

Recently, I tried using some European brass (Fiocchi, S&B, Prvi Partizan). The bullets were much harder to seat and the shells were bulged to the point where they would not chamber in any of my guns (WW II Walther PPK, Manurhin Walther PP, and a Sig P230). The European brass is about .002 inches thicker than the American and Brazilian brass, which accounts for the problem. After some investigation, I found that the Europeans use .309 bullets for .32 ACP, not .312 as SAAMI specifies.

S&B lists 73 grain FMJ bullets with a .309 diameter as being available as a reloading component, but none of the big suppliers (Midway, Grafs, Natchez) list them, although they carry the full line of S&B ammo.

Has anyone run into this problem or seen .309 bullets for sale that are correct for the .32 ACP?
The Following User Likes This Post: