View Single Post

Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon88 View Post
Few regular people have enough money for ammo to every put a significant round count through their ARs. Significant is not "1000 rounds with no malfunctions!", "200 rounds with no manfuctions!" as this thread will quickly become. 60,000 rounds were fired though participants in one stage of the military's M4 replacement program, and that was merely to collect data. The FN SCAR Light fired...a lot...of rounds in testing, making it the most heavily tested small arm ever, and was rejected by the proponent agency for purchase.

What do you consider a "failure" in a worn barrel? There are plenty of "shot out" M1 Garands and M1 Carbines out there still endangering X rings.

Sorry but your thread needs more thought and specificity IMO.
I think you have a point. I guess I am just looking for data for when I get handed the "Your rifle is a ***...it doesn't meet spec." line. It would be nice to have some type of real world data points showing actual round counts. I agree, we probably won't see someone post up 60,000 rounds, but maybe 12,000 in a year....And, if we see that these rifles aren't holding up after 5,000 rounds (which I doubt), we would also have the data showing that we should have all bought the Colt.