Thread: 41mag vs 44mag
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Banned

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

The 44 and 41 mags compare much in the same way the 30-06 and the 308 do. with 150 grain bullets both 30 calibers are similar, but increase bullet weight to 180 grains and that's where the added case capacity of the 'ought-six makes the difference.

Cartridges are in fact internal combustion devices. Like an engine, a 30-06 has the same "bore" as a 308 but a longer stroke. The 41 and 44 mags have the same "stroke" (case length) but different size bores and as a result the 44 has greater case capacity and just like the difference between the 30-06 and the 308, the cartridge with greatest case capacity can propel heavier bullets faster.

For hunting large game animals the 300 grain bullets that can be loaded in the 44 have much greater effectiveness than the more common 240 grain bullets. The 44 magnum is almost a different cartridge loaded with these heavy, hard-hiting, deep-penetrating bullets.

I've had a couple of Ruger blackhawks in both 44 and 41 mag and liked the 41 better. but after that I had a 29 "Classic" with the 6 1/2" barrel and the unfluted cylinder and the factory hogue grips and like that better than either of the Rugers.

I have a model 58 and I like that but shoot reloads only in it because I don't like the recoil of full-power loads with the Magna grips and don't like how the gun looks without them.

Now I need to get a model 57 for shooting full power ammo and would love to find one with an 8 3/8ths inch barrel. Both the 41 and 44 mags are gerat cartriges for those of us who reload.