View Single Post

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 11,009 Times in 3,969 Posts

Quote:
... my LGS has a 66-2 available ... Other LGS have a 681 and a 65 available ...
Of that trio, you have a choice between fixed sights (681 & 65) or adjustable sights (66) and K-Frame (65 & 66) or L-Frame (681).

So it is up to you which features are most important in your situation. Everything you mention is stainless steel, so blue vs stainless is not an issue.

Frame Size:
The K-Frame is lighter and easier to carry. The L-Frame is stronger but also a bit larger. Both have the same grip frame, so shouldn't make any difference what size your hands are.

Most would say that the L-Frame is best for unlimited use of .357 Magnum loads. This gets debated a lot and I personally think the "weakness" of the K-Frame .357 Magnums is overstated. Most people will never do enough shooting to ever see a problem. But if you know you will shoot rip-snorting loads all the time, you might want to lean toward the L-Frame.

Fixed vs Adjustable Sights:
If you know you will be shooting lots of different power levels and bullet weights and it is important to you to always be hitting the center of the target, you will probably want adjustable sights. Also, if you shoot at all different ranges, say from 15 to 100 yards, (as in a hunting scenario) you will probably want adjustable sights.

So this would be especially true if you want to hunt with a handgun or engage is serious target shooting. The thing is, if you had those goals, you would probably be looking at some other handgun(s).

Personally, I prefer fixed sights for something that will possibly be carried or used for home defense. You have less risk of snagging on something as you draw it, and there is no chance the sights can be on the wrong setting. I think S&W went overboard putting adjustable sights on everything, including snub-nose revolvers, but other people must think it is a great idea.

For all-around use, I think the M65 would be my choice. But the M66 is more popular and would have better resale value should you decide to sell or trade it. If you really want the beefier L-Frame AND you want adjustable sights, you may want to hold out for an M686.