Thread: 41mag vs 44mag
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 PM

Liked 307 Times in 195 Posts

However many angels can dance on the head of the .429 pin vs the .410 pin depends on who plays the music and which song is requested.

For me, while I *like* 44 mag, the 41 mag gives me generally better accuracy offhand, and considerably more enjoyment.

A few years ago I ran a range test on my clutch of 44 mags, from 3-4-8 3/8" 629s as compared to a 4" 57, a 6" 657, a 4" mtn gun 57; , & a Super Black Hawk Rooger 7.5" with a red dot sight.

Bullet weights ran from 200 to 265 g, with similar charges of a variety of powders. Range distances were from 50' to 50 yards, as my geezer eyes don't work good enough these days to enjoy the 100+ yard open sight targets.

What I found was surprising, so I repeated the test several times.

In *MY* test with bench supported sand bags and mid-week no rush leisurely target busting....there was no significant difference in groups. What was "the best" group one test was not so at the others.

And while the independent co-variables were not precisely controlled, I've done enough IHMSA and bullseye competition over the years, to determine which recipe/gun/caliber/etc is consistently the better performer.

I confirmed that I *prefer* shooting the 41 mag under almost any circumstance, more than the 44 mag. I *prefer* 200-220 gr loafing along at around 1000fps. I *prefer* to have some kind of optic that magnifies the target, rather than the red-dot system. And *NONE* of this data transfers to anyone else, nor were these "hunting loads" by any means.

Pure joy of just of making the little holes as close together as possible, while standing on one's hind feet, continues to give my own preference to the 41 mag, and the 4" Mtn Gun M57 gives far better accuracy that I would have ever expected.