View Single Post

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked 1,371 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat B View Post
I agree. I think the Governor has it's merits, and the .410 shot is a pretty good home defense round. But S&W is straight ripping of a... Taurus? That hurts. S&W is a better company than that. Or at least I'd like to believe.
I have had both The Judge, which I sold, as well as The Governor, which I currently have, and wouldn't rely on it's .410 capability for self defense, unless at close-contact range, and then it wouldn't be my first choice. This is based on my experience actually shooting critter's, Raccoons & 'Possums, with The Judge.

The performance of the .410 000 Buck, even the 3" version was dismal to say the least. I've said this in a number of other threads but I think it bears repeating, while dealing with one 'Possum I actually blurted out loud to myself, "I would be better off with a Louisville Slugger!" That's why I sold The Judge and the only reason I now have a Governor is because it also fires .45 acp rounds.......

My Governor is currently in the safe, which is where it has been since "critter season" ended and is where it will stay until the season opens back up.

Below is the only photo I've ever taken of the yard critters I've dealt with. The only reason I went in the house and got my camera is because I thought it was such a major accomplishment / ordeal to get this 'Possum with The Judge that it deserved some recognition, to myself that is. When you consider that I've shot both Raccoons & Possums with .32 S&W Longs out of a revolver and had it go a whole lot easier than it did with the .410 000 buck then it should give you some idea of why I keep mentioning this in many of The Governor threads.

While the .410's may look good on paper, paper targets that is, they haven't performed as I thought they would on small critters, which makes me beleive that they would be even less effective on bigger "critters."

Last edited by ogilvyspecial; 02-21-2012 at 08:23 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: